Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Genrefying!

Right now, I think that I might have more books stacked on tables than on the shelves in the library.  After much discussion with my friends in library land, I have decided that creating genre sections in fiction is the way to go!  To tell the truth, most kids that come in the library looking for a book always ask for a certain genre.  Here's what we hear in the library on a regular basis:
I need a scary book!
Don't you have any good mysteries?
I just want to read something that will make me laugh!

This has been a hot topic in our profession for a while.  This article from School Library Journal gives some insight into reasons why genrefying is beneficial for our students.  At the end of the day, it is all about what helps students to find books that they enjoy.

I will definitely post plenty of pictures of the finished library.

No comments:

Post a Comment